To correctly practice Pilates, practitioners must either acquire, borrow, or rent their own apparatus. The 2×4 is a wonderful and essential piece of Pilates apparatus, and despite its low profile, 2×4 exercise can provide a full-body workout. They can further your alignment and balance, providing an excellent place to connect the lower extremities into your center. Plus, making your own Pilates 2×4 is easily done in around ten minutes. Here’s what you’ll need.
- 2”x4” board approximately 18” long; you don’t have to be picky about the material
- An old, rubber yoga mat you don’t mind parting with
- A staple gun
- A small hammer
Once you’ve acquired all the necessary materials, you’re only around ten minutes away from owning your own, DIY Pilates 2×4. Here’s how to make it.
- You will be wrapping the board in the yoga mat. Measure the length by wrapping the board in the mat first. You want to ensure you have enough to cover it entirely without creating too much overlap.
- Use the board and the texture of the yoga mat to use as a guide. If you’d like more security, use a pen or pencil to mark you cut line. Then, use the scissors to cut the mat.
- Place the 2×4 along the edge of the yoga mat, leaving just enough to overlap when it is wrapped–¼” should be just enough.
- Secure the edge of the yoga mat to the 2×4 with a few staples. There should be no gaps where the mat pulls away from the board. Be sure to place fewer staples on the underside to decrease bulk.
- Pull the yoga matt tightly and firmly wrap the 2×4 board with the yoga mat and secure well with staples.
- Use the small hammer to smash the staples inward so that they do not stick out.
- Gift wrap the ends of the 2×4 and secure well with staples.